Biggleswade United recorded a routine victory over mid-table Crawley Green on Tuesday evening to continue their excellent second half of the season.

cropped-ClubLogo-150x150          crawleygreenfc1000-thumb-1481316

In the second of four consecutive home matches for Cristian Colas’ team, goals by Kane Farrell and Antonio Mitri ensured United made it six points in four days and extended the club’s unbeaten run to 12 games.

In truth, the hosts were not at their best at Second Meadow but they displayed a winning mentality that has now seen them record nine victories and three draws since losing to Leighton Town on 2 January.

Recent results have seen United climb firmly into the upper reaches of the Spartan South Midlands Premier Division table, although the absence of any end-of-season play-offs means any realistic hopes of promotion were ended some time ago.

Following an opening 20 minutes of precious little incident, United’s first chance of the night fell to Charlie Joy after Kevin Owusu’s pinpoint pass found Mitri on the left. The winger made his way into the Crawley Green box and the ball eventually broke to Joy, but his effort was straight at away goalkeeper Dean Bull.

Moments later, Joy and United went even closer to opening the scoring when Dave Iwediuno did well to control Farrell’s long ball forward. The forward set up Joy inside the box, with the United number 11 unleashing a shot that beat Bull only to be cleared off the line by a defender.

The visitors from Luton were well in the contest but fashioned little in the way of clear opportunities. Their best sight of goal in the first-half came when winger Aaron Browne crossed in from the right, but forward Terry Billy headed wide.

With the majority of the opening period bogged down in midfield, it appeared certain to remain goalless until the interval. However, two minutes before the break Iwediuno won the ball in the air and found Farrell in an advanced position.

The United left-back did the rest, bursting past three defenders before drilling into the corner from the edge of the area to score a fine individual goal and hand his side the half-time advantage.

Shortly after the restart, home keeper Tom Wyant made a crucial save to keep Biggleswade ahead, reacting superbly to keep out a point-blank header following a Crawley Green free kick.

The shot-stopper’s intervention was made all the more important when United then doubled their lead on 54 minutes. Mitri was gifted the opportunity to run in on goal when he anticipated a short backpass, and although he was twice denied by former Second Meadow man Bull, he poked home at the third time of asking to put the hosts two up.

It looked for all the world like the visitors would pull a goal back 10 minutes later, but forward Charlie Clayton headed over from inside the six-yard box after a corner was knocked back across goal.

Colas was then able to bring on Norwegian commentator and former professional player Simen Møller for his second United appearance. The 28-year-old had a quieter cameo than his scoring debut against Hoddesdon on Saturday, but he almost added United’s third of the night when he got on the end of Nick Elliot’s flick. Unfortunately, his effort was straight at Bull.

Farrell struck the crossbar in the dying stages with a curling left-footed free kick, but it did not stop United from seeing out a comfortable victory.

Biggleswade United: Wyant, Irish, J. Cooper, Qoku, Bilcock, Hunt, Owusu, Farrell, Iwediuno, Mitri, Joy

Subs: Wright, Elliot, Møller, Sturniolo, Voller

Crawley Green: Bull, McManus, Lincoln, Pemberton, Dummett, Harkin, Smith, Grant, Clayton, Billy, Browne

Subs: Thomson, Greene, Murray, Fonseca