Biggleswade United’s 12-match unbeaten run was finally ended by a 1-0 home defeat to Sun Sports.

Cristian Colas’ team had not lost a Spartan South Midlands Premier League match since 2nd January, but they were beaten on Saturday by Dominic David’s second-half header for the visitors from Watford.

United were unable to take advantage of goalkeeper Robbie Ponting’s early penalty save, producing a below-par performance in what was the third of four consective league matches at Second Meadow.

cropped-ClubLogo-150x150          sun sports

It means they slip to seventh in the table, although a top-four finish remains very achievable given the congested nature of the upper reaches of the league.

United started Saturday’s match slowly and almost handed their opponents the advantage after just five minutes. Some slack passing at the back ended with Lee Bilcock gifting possession to forward Clement Asante, but Ponting was out quickly to smother the danger.

Minutes later, however, the home side cheaply coughed up possession once more and this time it had more serious consequences. The ball again found its way to Asante, who made his way into the United box before going down under a challenge.


The United defence were adamant that the Yellows striker had gone to ground easily, but the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. George Hobson stepped up to take the penalty, but his low drilled effort was well kept out by the legs of Ponting.

Despite wasting a golden chance to take the lead, the Hertfordshire team continued to pose the greater threat in the early stages, with Jamie Speer volleying wide after being left unmarked at a free-kick.

The hosts eventually began to get into some more promising positions as the first-half wore on. Charlie Black sent a long-range effort not far over the bar, while Simen Møller’s cross was chested against his own post by Sun Sports defender Scott Bonner.


Norwegian commentator Møller was making his first United start since his two-month loan move to Second Meadow and he almost opened the scoring in spectacular fashion on the stroke of half-time.

Visiting keeper Drew Oliver raced off his line to clear the ball to safety but only succeeded in finding Møller. With the shot-stopper hopelessly out of position, the forward unleashed a left-footed shot from close to the half-way line that was trickling into the open goal, only for Oliver to get back just in time to clear off the line.

The start of the second period saw United create the better opportunities to break the deadlock. Kane Farrell’s free-kick to the right of the penalty area dipped just over the bar before Dave Iwediuno’s powerful effort was well saved by Oliver.


Møller then went through on goal on 69 minutes, but his shot was deflected just over the top by some last-ditch Yellows defending.

It proved to be an important moment in the contest as just three minutes later, Sun Sports scored what turned out to be the only goal of the afternoon.

A dangerous free-kick was swung in from the left, with substitute David meeting it with a thumping header from point-blank range. Despite Ponting doing his best to keep it out, the sheer power took it beyond the United keeper to give the mid-table side the lead.

In truth, it was an advantage Sun Sports never looked like surrendering on what was a frustrating day’s work for the home team.

United, who have now failed to beat the Yellows in four attempts this season, will have an immediate chance to bounce back when they entertain St Margaretsbury on Tuesday evening. They will then travel to face the same opposition next weekend.

Biggleswade United: Ponting, J. Cooper, Wright, Farrell, Bilcock, Irish, Black, Mitri, Møller, Iwediuno, Sturniolo

Subs: Hunt, Qoku, Joy, Owusu

Sun Sports: Oliver, Cruishank, Gibson, Walsh, Bonner, Wallace, Speer, Brennan, Asante, Hobson, Johnson

Subs: McMahon, David, Emiloju