Match Report: Biggleswade FC 4-1 BUFC
By Leon Waite – @leonwaite98

Another goal-filled fixture but on this occasion, United found themselves on the wrong side of the scoreline as Biggleswade FC’s ruthless attacking display saw them triumph 4-1 at Langford Road on Tuesday.

Despite taking the lead and creating a reasonable number of chances, Jimmy Martin’s men ultimately failed to resist their hosts and after three meetings FC remain unbeaten in ‘El Wadeico’.

The home side threatened inside the opening minutes as Ryan Inskip- whose brace guided FC to victory at Wembley on Saturday- delivered a free-kick into the box that Pat McCafferty couldn’t direct on target as the ball sailed over the bar.

United responded as Sam Holmes fired a tame shot harmlessly wide from distance and Ieuan Lewis was tantalisingly close to heading home from a corner were it not for the intervention of Sam Kelly on the line.

Both teams pride themselves on crafting attacks through intricate, thoughtful passing, however, football can be a simple game when executed right and United’s goal epitomised that.

James Smith clipped a dead ball over to the right, David Parkinson leapt to nod the ball into the penalty area and George Brinkman applied the finishing touch with aplomb.

FC caused problems with a dead ball of their own as Alex Marsh deceived their United defence by appearing set to shoot before rolling his free-kick into the path of Inskip, who curled his shot from the left just wide.

Skipper Tom Coles would find the route to goal four minutes later as he latched onto Joel Ives through pass to strike the ball beyond Dean Bull.

And they completed the turnaround shortly after as McCafferty rose to meet a free-kick from the left and he put the ball perfectly into the path of Nathan George, who bundled it over the line.

If that goal was bit untidy, FC’s subsequent attacking sequence was the opposite as some delightful interplay in midfield culminated in Lee Northfield dragging his shot narrowly wide.

United needed to refocus during the halftime interval in order to prevent the match from escaping them but the prospect of claiming anything from the contest was heavily diminished when Coles doubled his tally with a deflected strike that eluded the stranded Bull.

The visitors attempted to recover the situation with a well-constructed move through the thirds of the pitch that eventually presented Parkinson to drift inside and fire a shot that was tipped wide by Russ Tomkins.

Parkinson looked the most likely to reduce the deficit and he showed good awareness with his back to goal to flick the ball through to Holmes whose low, driven effort was matched by Tomkins once more.

Holmes was involved again soon after as he whipped the ball across the face of the goal with Brinkman agonisingly close to diverting it goalwards in the centre.

United sustained this pressure for a considerable period in search of a goal which could have launched a potential comeback- James Cooper also turned a shot over from inside the box.

FC would deliver a final blow, however, when Lewis was dispossessed on the halfway line allowing Northfield to emerge with the ball and feed Marsh whose finish nestled unerringly into the far, bottom corner.

Some positives to take from a humbling derby defeat that has somewhat tarnished the explosive start to the new campaign but there’s a long season ahead with plenty of progress still to be made and on Saturday the FA Cup kicks-off as we welcome Wellingborough Town to Second Meadow, KO 3pm.